Wrestler Retrospect: Seth Rollins

So we've come to the end of the trifecta of former Shield member Retrospects

Imagine my surprise the night the Shield ended.  I thought for sure when Triple H was going through his speech about how his original plan to destroy the Shield failed and that he always had a plan b that we would see Dean Ambrose turn on his former allies.

But it's always the quiet ones.

I was rather shocked when it was Seth that unleashed with the chair, taking out his former "brothers" and cementing himself as the heel that came out of the group.

Seth Rollins was actually the first member of the Shield that I'd come to know.  I had a friend by the name of Rob show me footage of Rollins, then known as Tyler Black in Ring of Honor, hitting the finishing move he used then.  I was hooked.

At that point he had already signed with WWE, so I started looking up his matches on YouTube.  Back then he was in Florida Championship Wrestling, and was the FCW 15 Champion.  It was kind of a weird championship.  Instead of the customary belt it was a medal and the matches had a fifteen minute time limit.  I really didn't understand it, but he was a champion and thus was being showcased.

As stated in the Dean Ambrose Restrospect, I got really into Seth and Ambrose's matches.  He then became the first NXT champion when FCW and NXT merged.  When he made his main roster debut in the Shield I was really excited to see him.

Over the course of the Shield's run I felt the Seth was the least showcased of the group.  Dean became the singles champion and had a personality that stood out.  Later Roman became the break out and was really being pushed as the face of the group.

And you had Seth in the back, in my mind anyway, showcasing that he was a great wrestler, but not really prominent.  His moves in the ring were a sight to see, and when he did get the mic I loved his promos.  I just felt that he was an after thought in the group as a whole.

Then came that fateful night.  Seth took a chair and swung for the fences. (And Roman's back)

It was the best thing he could of done.

Regardless of whether you love him or hate him, you listen when he talks.  His promos have been fantastic.  In the ring he continues to do what he does best, which is showcase how he got where he is.  His style is neither high flying or grappling.  It's an amalgamation of both.  A style all his own. Already WWE has shown faith in him by making him a Money in the Bank winner.  An accomplishment that usually, but not always, means that he'll be a future WWE champion.  I think he'll fall in the category of "usually".

Seth has really taken the ball and ran as a heel.  Especially now that Brock Lesnar is champion.  With limited dates in his contract, Brock hasn't been around much, so somebody needs to be top heel.  Seth stepped up and has been nailing it.  I've always been fond of a good heel, and Seth has been no exception.  He's one of those guys that you love to hate.  Whether it be weaseling his way out of matches, or putting his opponents head through cinder blocks it's been something that's kept me watching for what will happen next.

If anything I, like Seth, haven't sold out, but bought into Seth Rollins.

Comments