End of an Era

Well, it wasn't really an era.  I'd describe an era as being something as big as the Beatles, or Stan Lee's run on any title that he created and wrote.  For me though I'd say it was an era.

My friends and I used to do a podcast. (Many of you reading this thought it was about Geoff John's run on GL didn't you?)  The Super Uber Kickass Nerdcast!  Although we only had a few fans it was good times.  I only remember a few times that I had that much fun.

It wasn't anything big.  Mostly my friends and I talking about anything nerdy we could come up with.  Top five lists of our favorite whatever, current nerd topics, and writing.  It wasn't much but it was ours and it was fun.

I remember on recording nights, getting excited.  Getting ready my lists and whatever I was going to talk about.  I'd actually get butterflies.  We didn't even record in front of people.  It was just the excitement of getting together with my friends and talking.

So what happened?

Now I can't speak for everyone, but for me it became a chore.  I loved doing the show, don't get me wrong, but there were those nights that I would get home from work and just want to sit on the couch and watch TV.  It was kind of a hassle to think that I had to go upstairs, put on the mic and record.  I think it irritated me that we never started on time.  There was a lot of time that we could have started recording well before we did, because most of the time we were spitting comedy gold even before hitting the record button.

Eventually we went on hiatus.  My friends wanted to focus on NanoWrimo (If you don't know what that is, look it up.) so we decided to put off recording again until December, do a Christmas episode, and pick up again in January.  It never happened.

A few of the guys wanted to drop out.  I can't say I blame them.  After not recording for that long why not look elsewhere for something to occupy your time.  Plus one of the guys did the editing for the podcast and I can't imagine that would be fun.  I know that when he did, his time was taken up entirely.  The three that were left decided to try and go on.  To come up with stuff to revitalize the podcast and continue trucking.  A few weeks later we called it dead.

It saddens me.  Not necessarily because we're not recording a podcast that few listened to, but because I feel that my friends are all gone.

I looked forward to recording, even when I didn't want to, because it gave me a chance to hang out and crack jokes with my friends.  It's hard to get together.  Three out of the five of us are family men that I'm sure in their spare time want to spend it with their families.  The other two are single guys that I'm sure don't want to hang out with a guy and his kids.  I understand the reasons, but it hurts nonetheless.

I met with a couple of the guys a little while back.  Both said that we need to get together and hang out.  I haven't heard from either of them since.  I feel that the end of this era isn't just a lame podcast that we threw out there, but a group of friends that I loved hanging out with.

Comments

  1. I blame myself only because it's easy. And I wasn't even a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh Clifton you always have a way of lightening the mood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any of you have Skype? I have my podcast and have been looking for a way to record remotely via skype. Would love to have a cohost or two. LMK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would mostly be done on a come as you can basis... YOu'd need Skype and audacity is all. I can do the editing.

      Delete
    2. I do. That's how we were recording.

      Delete
  4. Wow, dude! That made me a little misty-eyed. We do need to get together more. Even if it's just to watch some movies or something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's hard when friendships shift and change like that. I began to feel a bit of that when one of my best friends started pulling away from me when I got married. It was weird and really hurt a lot. So I get where you're coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sad day, I loved your podcast. I understand how you must be feeling though. It feels like all my friends are moving on with their lives and I’m stuck in limbo. Listening to the podcast strangely made me feel like I was still a part of a group, even though I only know half of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish that I could take all that hurt away from you, but maybe this will make others realize that you all need to hang out more and have some fun....I love you besty!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment