Good Friends

So last year about this time I posted a blog (http://laughyaboutit.blogspot.com/2010/11/lack-of-creativity.html) about NaNoWriMo and the friends I had participating in it.  I was jealous of the fact that they were, because even though I loved writing, I felt I had nothing past an okay short story.

This year isn't different as far as my friends participating.  A few of my friends, as well as a couple more, took up the challenge to write a novella.  Now the great friends that they are, they pushed me to write something.  Anything.  Even if it was more entries in this blog.

That inspired me.

I began to roll around the ideas that I'd been thinking about last year about this time and expand on them.  I wanted to resurrect my novel from high school.  I guess resurrect is a bad word.  I wanted to rewrite it.

I liked the basic principle behind it, but like the aforementioned blog I had no plot to it.  I was talking to Brooke one day and she started telling me about a part in a book she was reading.  It sparked something in me.  For the next couple of days I rolled the idea around in my head.  At first I thought about making an entirely different story out of it, never even thinking about the story from high school.

The book soon came into play.  I began with the basic idea and started interjecting characters from my book in place of abstract characters I'd thought of.  It started a fire.

For this past weekend I've been writing a short story.  It has aspects of my previous book idea, but expanded upon it.  The more I write the more it sparks up new ideas.  Even to the point that I've come up with some pretty cool concepts and stuff that I can't contain in a short story.  I've come up with enough things that I could see it turn into a novella.  I think I might have even gotten past my plot problem.

I don't know where it will go, or even if it'll be any good.  My wife seems to enjoy it, but that's the blessing and the curse of someone who loves you.  I'm not sure if she placating my ego to spare my feelings.  Either way, I'm enjoying writing again.  More so than I did in high school.  And, even though I'm still not participating in NaNoWriMo, I have my good friends to thank for that.

Comments

  1. Dude...this is awesome, as I have already told you several times in the last few minutes on the various social networking sites. But I really am excited for you. Reading this entry and the one that you referenced, I see that you had a lot of the same issues that I was dealing with. I just stopped writing because I was afraid what other people would think of it, and my inner editor made J. Jonah Jamison look like Mr. Rodgers. But, with a little encouragement from the rest of the Super Uber Kick Ass Nerd Squadron, I was able to overcome a lot of that and dive head first back into writing, and I thank them every day for that, because I feel that getting back into writing has added something to my life that has been missing for a long time. And it doesn't even matter to me if I am ever published or if everything I write is garbage, just the fact that I am doing something that I truly love and enjoy makes it worth it, and I am glad I could help you get back into that as well. Ok, I will get off of my soapbox now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OoOOOOOOHHHH!!!!! And his book is sOOOOOOO goood!!!! I can't wait to read more of it! I am so proud of you for doing this! It's awesome!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment