Lack of Creativity

So as most of the people that read my blog know it's NaNoWriMo, and it makes me sad. Not that a lot of people are trying to write 50,000 word novellas, that's actually pretty awesome.

It makes me sad cause I didn't participate, or worse, that I feel I can't. I love to write. When I get a good idea in my head I love writing it down and bringing the ideas to life. The problem is that most of those ideas are not novella materials. I have a hard time coming up with a plot that could last a whole novella. Most of my ideas are ones that would only be good for short stories. I tried writing a fantasy novel in high school, and as cool as it was, I couldn't come up with an actual villain, or a reason the villain was a villain in the novel. It really sucked cause I thought I had a lot of really cool stuff going on in it.

The really sad thing is that this lack of creativity isn't just contained to writing. I like to draw. I just feel I lack my own style, and once I'm done with a drawing I hate it. I don't feel like the result was worth the time I put into it. I have no experience with knowing how to draw the human body. Most of the stuff I know is self taught. I can look at a drawing and copy it pretty well, but as for an original drawing, well, it doesn't turn out very well in my opinion.

So as happy as I am for all my friends partaking in this awesome challenge, I envy them. I wish I could come up with a great plot so that I could join them. Although I've been thinking of re-writing that aforementioned novel I started in high school, if only I could think of a plot.

Comments

  1. One of the cool things about NaNo is the support you get from fellow participants. It really helps. You can bounce ideas off folks and it helps you with your story. Heck, sometimes just talking about your story, not looking for ideas, helps dig stuff up you hadn't thought of yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should mention this, because more then once the thought occurred to me to try to recruit you to Nano, but I dismissed it thinking you probably wouldn't have time with family and all. Now I read this I regret not talking to you about it. I remember the novel you were writing in high school and how cool I thought it was. So tell you what, you have 11 and a half months to start figuring out the plot, and then you're participating next year! It's a blast, it really is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've already been bouncing around ideas with Brooke that I've liked. It's just the overall plot that still has me stuck.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment