Wrestler Retrospect: Aleister Black

Hey guys.  This is my first official blog in conjunction with our (Chris, Josh, and I) Nerdsweek project.  I posted the Kenny Omega one as well, but this one I knew for sure was going to be posted simultaneously.  Please check out the site.  Like us on Facebook.  Follow us on Twitter.  Whoa!  I'm starting to sound like Zach Ryder over here.  Anyway, on to the post.

The lights go out and a guitar chord rips through the arena, followed by a drum beat.  Smoke wafts across the stage, covering it.  Suddenly the beat drops and a pulsing guitar chord replaces it, accompanied by an inhale of breath.  From the smoke rises up a figure with long hair and covered in tattoos.  When I say rise, I don't mean stands up from a crouching position, I mean rises like Dracula from his coffin.

This is what heralds the arrival of Aleister Black.

As soon as those drum beats begin I get excited.  Sometimes I'll play on my phone when watching TV, be it wrestling or otherwise.  When Black's entrance music starts I stop everything.  Aleister's enigmatic entrance sets the mood for his whole match, and character for that matter.

I'm really trying to pinpoint specifically a few things that make me like Aleister Black and I really can't.  Yes, his entrance is a huge part of it.  The ambiance it creates really puts you on the edge of you seat for what happens next.

His quiet brooding nature makes him a mystery you can't wait to watch unfold.  For quite a bit of his NXT career Aleister was all about what he did in the ring.  Other than the vignette's before his arrival, which were dark, enigmatic, and foreboding, it was a few months before he finally spoke, and when he finally did he was cut off by another wrestler.  He's covered in tattoos that are occult inspired.  I believe a product of his upbringing.


But his character and presence are only a part of it.  Aleister is amazing in the ring.  His offense is based on strikes due to his martial arts background.  I'm usually not a fan of wrestlers with kicks as their finishers, but Aleister's Black Mass spin kick finisher looks devastating and is a site to behold.  To watch him raise his opponent with his foot, a sign that they've already been beaten to a point where they can barely stand, and quickly spin finishing them with a kick that echoes through the area...breath taking really.

Aleister is pretty well rounded though.  Strikes are his main offense, but he does supplement it with technical and high flying moves, meaning he's not a one trick pony.  It really makes Black fun to watch.

After listening to an interview with Aleister Black, it's obvious he knows exactly who he is and uses that in his character and to his advantage.  Sure he doesn't fit the mold of a wrestler.  He's not muscly.  He doesn't cut the stereotypical wrestler promo where he's shouting about how he's going to destroy his opponent.  He let's his actions do that.  When he does cut a promo there's a quiet menace to it that causes chills, but leaves you wanting to hear more.

I think the thing that endears him to fans, and I think even he's said this, is that he isn't the stereotypical wrestler.  He's someone that's an outsider but one you can identify with, and maybe even see yourself in.  I don't know if that's true, maybe it is.  All I know is that he's fun to watch.  From his vampire like entrance to the way he knocks his opponents head off with a single kick.  I know that Aleister has quickly became a favorite, probably my current favorite, in NXT right now and that's saying a lot with the talent that occupies the roster.  It probably helps that he retweeted a picture of him that I drew.

Comments