Wrestler Retrospect: Kenny Omega

With my recent discovery of New Japan Pro Wrestling and Ring of Honor, I'm surprised it's taken me this long to get to this particular Wrestler Retrospect.  Of all the new favorite wrestlers I've discovered from both organizations and the love I've gained for them,  top of my list has to be Kenny Omega.

Truthfully I think it's due to wanting to do him justice.  He's a large part of my love for New Japan and I didn't want to write anything that wouldn't show my appreciation for him and his talent in the ring.

I realize that's probably just an excuse and to just put pen to paper.  Or fingers to keys in this case.

My admiration for Kenny Omega can be traced back to one particular event, the G1 Special in the USA. Which really was where I gained my love for New Japan as a whole.  It was the first New Japan event I'd ever seen and it was like nothing I'd seen before.  Focused entirely on telling a story in the ring and not with backstage vignettes or interviews.  The match told the story with great wrestling and great characters.  

And at the forefront?  Kenny himself.  I was dazzled by not only his moves, which honestly are some of the best I've ever seen.  Go look up his V-Trigger knees to Michael Elgin in the first round.  Go ahead.  I'll wait.

(Don't look.  Here it is.)



Gorgeous right?  Equal parts finesse and brutality.  It was like nothing I'd ever seen before.  

Ever since that special I've eaten up all the New Japan I can get my hands on.  I find myself enjoying it all, but especially waiting for the Kenny matches.  And he delivers every time.  And his charisma?  Off the charts!

There's something about Kenny that's undeniably captivating.  I find myself grabbing for any podcast interviews I can find with him.  He's smart when it comes to the wrestling business (or at least pertaining to my knowledge of it) and it's interesting to learn his thought process behind his matches and character.  Throughout all the interviews he seems humble.  Many think him the greatest wrestler on the planet, but I'd never get that from him.  He hasn't let that go to his head.  He just keeps doing what he's doing.  Working to better himself in the ring and entertaining the fans.  Also his obvious love for video games helps.  How can you not like someone so obviously a geek.

This past Wrestle Kingdom he fought Chris Jericho in what may be the best match I've ever seen.  The build up was awesome and when it finally got here it delivered.

Recently there's been a shift with Kenny.  He's been the leader of the Bullet Club for a while, but seems to have (been forced to) split himself from it and entered into a reunited tag team with Kota Ibushi, the Golden Lovers.  It makes me equally parts sad at him leaving behind the group that I first knew him in and equally excited to see where he goes from here.  It's a time for change for Kenny and I'm excited to be along for the ride.  Because if there's anything I've learned about Kenny Omega in the last year it's that no matter what happens he'll keep me excited and entertained.

Comments