Wrestler Retrospect: Shunsuke Nakamura

I can't put my finger on it.

There's just something about Shinsuke Nakamura.

I knew virtually nothing about Nakamura before he came to NXT.  In his first appearance, he issued a challenge to Sami Zayn, I was a little taken aback.  It wasn't what he said that was weird.  It wasn't that he did anything specifically out of the ordinary.  There was just something about him that intrigued me.  His mannerisms. His expressions.  Something.

The following Takeover (NXT's pay-per-view) Nakamura premiered.

And I was hooked.

It was everything.  From the music that played him to the ring, to his unique walk/dance to the ring, not to mention the match itself.  The man had charisma that you just can't help but like.

His entrance music alone has to be in my top 5 favorite themes of all.  A violin driven theme that you (and the entire crowd) can't help but sing along with.  And there aren't any lyrics.

That says nothing about the following match itself.  Something amazing happened.  Zayn and Nakamura put on a match that was mesmerizing. The live crowd began a chant of "wrestle forever" that I can't say was far off the mark.

Nakamura stayed undefeated for quite a while.  Eventually becoming champion.  His first loss was to Samoa Joe at the last Takeover event.


It's interesting to see what Nakamura does.  He's not fully grasped the English language, so he's a man of few words.  When he does speak he makes it count, but he lets his charisma do the talking. He has a way of walking and acting that catches your attention immediately and doesn't let go until he's gone.  He knows how to walk and act that keeps you interested in what he's doing.  I'm a fan of wrestlers that can talk and cut amazing promos.  It says something for a wrestler when he doesn't say much and can keep me engaged in what he's going to do next.

NXT is constantly bringing in star power to their brand.  People from the independent circuit that you can't help but love.  For me Nakamura is towards the top of the list.  I can't wait to see what he does next.  He's got a bright future with the WWE and one that he will sure to make unique.

Comments