Summer Scout Adventures Pt. 1

So it's been a pretty busy summer so far.  What with work and family stuff.  I haven't had the chance to sit down an blog as much as I've wanted to.  One of the big reasons though is my church calling.

I'm a Varsity Scout leader.  I'm in charge of the teachers group.  I've had this calling for about a year, but my previous partner had issues with work and we weren't able to get off the ground with activities like we've wanted to.  I actually hated my calling during that time.  I've never been a scout leader or that much of an outdoors man.  I felt like I was letting the boys down because I couldn't come up with any worthwhile activities for them.

That changed a couple months back, around springtime.  My new companion was called.

Jon. My co scout leader

There have been many pluses to my new partner, Jon.  First is the fact that I've known him for quite a few years.  We actually graduated from the same program at EITC.  He actually helped get me my current job, which I love, so kudos to him for that.

Another is that Jon's been a scout leader before.  Something I've never been, so he knows what kinds of activities to plan for so we can keep the boys (that's what we call the scouts.  Appropriate no?) entertained.

My most favorite reason is that he wants to do those activities.  A LOT!

The activities we've done have been amazing.  This summer I've camped more than I've done in years.  I've learned lawn care, played dodge ball, another activity I haven't done in years.  I've also drove an eighteen wheeler.  Yep, you've read that right.  I drove a semi truck!  And I've went on so many hikes I'm not sure I can count them.

And it's been fantastic!

Always a ham for the camera
On our first campout we camped Teton Dam.  There were only two boys that went, but since it was an overnight camping trip I was able to bring Sam.  He loved it!  He keeps asking me to bring him whenever I go to Scouts.  I really can't wait for him to get to that age, because I know he'll love it.

The Scouts hiking Teton Dam
Like I said it was just an overnight thing, but we cooked hot dogs and s'mores over a fire and hiked around Teton Dam.  We got to see where it broke and flooded.  We also got our car stuck in the mud!  That last one wasn't so fun, but at least it was an experience I'll not soon forget.



The Lower Lake
One of my most favorite activities, and one that everyone constantly brings up, is when we hiked Palisades Lakes.  It was an amazing hike that took all day.  We got there at about 8:30 a.m. and didn't leave until around 6 p.m.

Everyone was tired by the end, but the scenery and the hike was amazing.

Lunch Break!
We hiked to the lower lake and after lunch, most of us decided to hike to the upper lake.  We got to play around at the lake for an hour or so then hike all the way back.
The Upper Lake.  Isn't it beautiful

My fitbit tracker tracked us at about 17.6 miles that day.  Keep in mind I did very little walking before the hike, so it's fairly accurate.  That 17.6 miles is why everyone keeps bringing up Palisades Lakes hike.

Lightweights!

Stay tuned for Pt.2 for another of my favorite experiences.  Who am I kidding?  They've all been awesome.

Comments

  1. I'm so glad that you are enjoying your calling. It always makes it easier! #beastmode

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment