Proud Poppa

As you all know with Summer here it mean that school is out.

With three kids either in school that meant a lot of commitments to attend.

A proud Sam with his diploma
First off Sam graduated pre-school this year.  He's super excited to go to kindergarten this next year, so his graduation couldn't come fast enough.  Although when all was said and done and the next Tuesday rolled around (his pre-school only met on Tuesdays and Thursdays) he was super bummed that he couldn't go to Miss Jenny's (His teacher).

His graduation was pretty cute.  Most of it was them singing songs, most of which I got on video.  Finally followed up by a graduation ceremony where the kids received diplomas.

Sam and Miss Jenny
Sam was super excited.  The teacher also had little caps to take home.  It was pretty cool.  I think Sam was a little sad about leaving his teacher.  All the kids were actually.  Sam though, I think had a crush on his.  He kept mentioning that Miss Jenny was married.  He's such a littler ladies man because I think he had a crush on a couple other girls in his class, including Miss Jenny's daughter.  it was quite cute.

My mom as well as Brooke's grandparents were able to attend, so that was pretty cool.  They all live here in town, so I guess it wasn't that cool, but Sam was happy.  He kept making a thumbs up to Brooke's grandpa while on stage, so he must have thought it was cool.

Leslie, unfortunately, didn't tell us before hand when or if she was having a graduation.  On a Tuesday before school ended she made it sound like her graduation was going to be held with Kylie's, the following Thursday, but then the next day came home and was talking about the award she'd received.  I was pretty bummed I missed it.

She won an award for Academic Achievement in Language Arts.  I wasn't there of course to hear the explanation of what it was for, but I assume it's due to the fact that she reads at like a third or fourth grade level.  I mean when doing their reading groups they have an advanced group and they have Leslie.  They actually pull her aside, alone, and have her read.  She's super smart and loves to read.

Kylie's graduation I asked time off work to attend.  My off Friday before I helped with her sixth grade track meet.  Towards the end of it, when the long jump was over with (the even I helped with) her teacher, Mrs. Bischoff, pulled me aside.  She let me know that the graduation was coming up and that I should make an effort to attend because Kylie was getting an award.  Of course the following Monday I asked for the time off.

The funny thing about it was Kylie kept talking to us about attending.  I told her I had to work.  Brooke told her that she wouldn't be able to go because she couldn't find a sitter for Sam on such short notice.  That excuse kind of seemed thin to me, but Kylie bought it.

Uncle Kim and Aunt Dorthy
Another cool thing is that my uncle Kim and aunt Dorthy happened to be up that week visiting and we let them know about the graduation.  They said that they planned on leaving Thursday, but would push back the time and come.  Kylie, of course, knew nothing about it.

I felt like a stalker, but she never saw us.
Come the big day, I left work at the prescribed time, went home, and walked to the school with Sam and Brooke.  They had some big thing for a girl in Kylie's class where she got to ride in a fire truck for reading the most.  The whole school came out to see it.  Kylie stood ten feet from us and didn't even see us, which I was glad for.  I didn't want to ruin the surprise just yet.

We finally went in for the graduation.  When the sixth graders were brought down to come into the gym and Kylie saw us standing there talking pictures, her face was priceless.  Her teacher told us later that she was in shock saying "My dad's supposed to be at work and he's here!"

The D.A.R.E. Hero award
Her citizenship award
I was so proud of Kylie during the ceremony.  I seriously think she was the most decorated kid (girl at least) there.  She was brought up before the ceremony to receive a D.A.R.E Hero award, for being the kid that most exemplified what being in D.A.R.E. was all about.

She won a citizenship award for pretty much the same thing as the D.A.R.E award.  Being a good example, being kind, being a good student, yadda yadda yadda.  You know, being Kylie.

Her presidential award
She won a gold Presidential award for having and maintaining a 3.7 or higher GPA throughout the year.  

Finally, and this is the one I think her teacher pulled me aside for, was the Hope of America award.

Kylie and Mrs. Bischoff (and a
photobomber!)
I guess the sixth grade teacher nominated one boy and one girl in their class to receive this.  It was such a big deal that they had a guy introduce it before hand and then when the student's received it they, and their parents, were pulled up on stage.  Her teacher read us here nomination letter, which she explained why she thought Kylie should receive it.  At one point in the letter she actually thanked Brooke and I for us giving her the opportunity of getting to know Kylie.  I won't lie I cried a little bit up there on stage.  Her teacher has told us on multiple occasions that she wanted to find a reason to hold Kylie back, just so Kylie didn't have to leave her class.
The happy graduate
Receiving her graduation certificate

She finally received her graduation certificate.  We met her in the hall afterward and she was pretty embarrassed about all the screaming we all did every time she got on stage, but we all wanted her to know how proud we were.  She's such a good kid she deserves the recognition.

What can I say, all my kids are great kids.  I'm truly a proud poppa.

Comments

  1. It was a great couple of days and I'm proud as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment