The People You Meet On The Bus

A couple weeks back I wore my Spider-man hoodie to work.  If you haven't seen it, it looks like this.

Sam loves it.  Whenever I wear it he always asks me to zip it all the way up.

Anyway, the day I wore it sparked up a conversation with a guy on my bus.  He complimented me on it and then brought up the premiere of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.  (If you haven't seen it, it's pretty much awesome.) We both talked about how excited we were for it.  Over the next couple weeks he'd ask me if I saw it and I'd say no, because I usually have to watch it on Thursdays on Hulu.  The following Monday we'd then talk about the episode.

The day finally came when I finally mustered the nerve to ask him his name.  Talk about awkward for me. Although it was better late than never.  I'd hate to be that guy on the episode of Friends that kept calling Chandler Toby and it was too late for Chandler to correct him.

When I finally did the guy introduced himself as Chris and then handed me a card and said I should check this website out.

I went to my work computer, clocked in, and proceeded to waste time looking at this site than getting my work done.  Sadly this is typical.

Turns out the guy is a self published author!

He's wrote three books in a series called Vampyre 2000.


It was pretty cool to meet a published author. (even a self published one)  The next Friday I happened to finish the book I was reading and Brooke had to go to the library.  I swear the girl goes through books faster than I change my clothes.  While there, even though it was a long shot, I checked under Benson.  Lo and behold guess what was there!  That's right his first two books.

I decided to give it a shot.  It's not everyday you can sit across the aisle from the author of the book you're reading.

Turns out I was able to finish it in exactly a week.  It was pretty good too.  There was some issues with language.  That never really floats my boat.  I have less of a problem with it than Brooke.  She'll straight up stop a book in the middle if there is too much swearing.  I admire her for that.  It especially used the Savior's name in vain, which I have an issue with more so than anything else, but I finished it.

It's a love story, but the vampires are vampires like you normally think of when you hear vampires.  Not vampires as in "I can go out during the day, but I sparkle."  Also the main vampire is being hunted by another vampire because the main vampire is black.  It's a cool twist on things.

If your into that I recommend it.  Like I said it was pretty good.  If you don't like it, it's short so you're not out too much.

On this same note I have to mention my friend Pete.  He happens to be self publishing  a book as well.  It's called Green Eggs and Horror.


It's horror, so I'm not sure if I'll read it.  Sorry Pete, but I'm not a fan of horror.  I still love you though.  I still think the word needs to get out there though.  It'd be cool to know two published authors, I think.

Comments

  1. thanks, Ken! And yeah, if language or violence is a problem (i doubt the violence would bother you that much since you're a wrestling fan) then you should probably avoid the anthology. i give the same recommendation to my family who is sensitive to such things.

    side note, there are at least half of the stories in the anthology that i think you and even brooke would enjoy, i will send you links to those episodes of the audio anthology when they're out. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwh! Thanks Kenny!! On a totally different note...HEY!!! I can't help it that I like to read!! It's better than going through..oh I don't know....COMICS!!! Just kidding! I love you and your addiction! Sounds interesting...but chances are I will not read it. Pete, I might wanna read yours though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've known Chris for years from the Shop. He's good people. Glad you liked his stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment