Wrestler Retrospect: Bray Wyatt

Ever seen Cape Fear?  I haven't but I've been told that the character of Bray Wyatt is based on Robert De Niro's character Max Cady from that film.  Now although I haven't seen that film I've seen scenes (say that 5 times fast) from it and I can tell you that the character is creepy!

If Bray Wyatt is going for creepy he's hitting the mark.

The first time I saw the man known as Bray Wyatt he was on the second season of WWE's NXT.  A show where they pair up a "rookie" with a "Pro" and it's a competition.  Fans vote off a contestant each week.  Think American Idol without the singing and the dudes are in their underwear.  Gives you a nice picture doesn't it.

Then known as Husky Harris.  There wasn't much about him.  I remember him cutting a promo once and thinking it was better than the other guys, but nothing too captivating.  Husky then went on to Raw for a little bit and joined the Nexus a group originally composed of the first NXT contestants.  It's a long story.  I remember him being a decent wrestler, but the character was going nowhere.  Husky then got injured and when he came back he went to WWE's developmental territory Florida Championship Wrestling.

He kind of fell off the map for me at that point.  We don't get FCW broadcasts here in Idaho, so I didn't really follow what was going on down there other than a few major independent wrestlers getting signed.

I then heard on a wrestling site I follow, wrestlezone.com, that he'd returned with a new gimmick.  That of Bray Wyatt.  It was in said article that I learned the above Max Cady inspiration.  Still nothing that grabbed my attention.  I then heard he joined with a couple of other wrestlers and called themselves the Wyatt Family.

My interest was piqued a bit.  A group with family in the name was a little out of the ordinary.

It wasn't until a couple months back that promos for the Wyatt Family started showing on Raw.  They may be the creepiest thing I've ever seen.  It painted Bray as a sort of cult leader, guiding his followers against the norms that society has placed on them.  Each new promo brought more excitement for me.  Who was this guy spouting off crazy notions about society and how he was "The Eater of Worlds"?

Then they appeared on Raw.

It was a crazy premier that I can't describe, so I'll show you.

 Crazy right?

I don't know what it is, but I can't help to be intrigued.  I looked at past FCW videos of Wyatt and everything I find intrigues me more.

His unorthodox character is refreshing in wrestling.  Something new and different.  Everything about him is out of the ordinary and I love it.  His music is slow and methodical.  Something you'd find on a soft rock radio station.  His finisher is called Sister Abigail.

Who names a finisher that?

Bray Wyatt did and it's one of the many things I love about the character.  He knows how to cut what seems to be a nonsensical promo and have me on the edge of my seat.

He keeps you guessing at what he'll do as he sits in a rocking chair on the ramp watching the rest of his "family" do his dirty work.  I think there are great things to come from Bray Wyatt.  He's got good wrestling ability as shown from his NXT days.  It's the character himself that has me most excited to see what exactly he'll do next.

Comments

  1. Creepy..dude the word your looking for to describe that gimmick is CREEPY!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment