Pick of the Month: Guardians of the Galaxy

I've been on a Guardians of the Galaxy kick recently.  With the new movie well under way it's peeked my interest on who the Guardians are and what they were all about.  My friend Adam posted a blog a while back about the Thanos Imperative (I'd post a link, but he's gone somewhere else and taken his blogspot blog with him.) and how good it was.  Also my friend Clifton (http://nova-corps.blogspot.com/) posts about the Guardians all the time.

So I picked up the Thanos Imperative to get a good feel for the Guardians and the other Marvel Galactic heroes.  It was good, and even though the Guardians were heavily showcased, it wasn't enough.  A short time later Marvel came out with a bunch of one-shots for their digital comics showcasing each of the Guardians in turn.  They were free, so I couldn't lose anything by checking them out.

They were AWESOME!

I wanted more, but I still procrastinated on getting more.

Recently we were at Hastings picking up my comics.  They had a sale going on.  By a back issue and get a second for a dollar.  I picked up the first two issues.  By the end of the two I was hooked.  I went back and bought all the rest (3 more issues) so I could get caught up.  I even put in on my pull list.

I'm not sure what took me so long to come around.

Who wouldn't love a gang of dangerous space pirates saving the galaxy on a monthly basis.  Besides they have a wise cracking, tech savvy raccoon that is one of the biggest reason to keep reading, for me anyway. Rocket is hilarious!  Add to that, a wise cracker himself, the leader Peter Quill, the Star Lord.  The most dangerous woman in the galaxy Gamora.  Drax the destroyer.  The talking tree (that only says "I am Groot") Groot, you've got a winning team.  On top of that though, for those who want a more familiar Marvel, Iron Man has joined their ranks.

With dangerous aliens and Quill's own father hunting them while they're trying to save the Earth, it's a non stop thrill ride so far.  I'm glad I'm in.

I was going to try and limit this to one issue, and while each individual issue is good, I decided that it's better as a whole.  As the story progresses the danger gets higher, thus the action comes faster.

If you're looking for a good series, that's still only a few issues in, look to Guardians of the Galaxy.  You won't be disappointed.

Comments

  1. I'm glad you've enjoyed it. I'm loving this one but the series before it by Abnett and lanning is even better, in my opinion. I'm just glad they're starting to get the praise they've deserved.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment