Bottling Fairies

I'm not a very crafty.  It's not for lack of wanting to be.  I used to draw, which I guess is crafty, but I never thought I was all that good.  And the more time past, and the less time I had to do it, I felt it got worse.  It's kinda fallen to the wayside.  Although after this I think it might be a lack of trying.
I have a couple of friends who are very crafty.  A friend of mine named Doug is probably the craftiest person I know.  I've seen him take plumbing equipment and turn it into a lightsaber.  Recently he's made a working R2-D2!  Those around my neighborhood have probably seen it rolling around his street.  You can't get more crafty than that.  Another friend of mine Karlenn makes these awesome card which she posts about all the time. (http://karlennandben.blogspot.com/) Not to mention all the other stuff she posts about that cracks me up.
Anyway, I feel a little lacking in the crafts department.
The other day I was on YouTube, checking the stuff I subscribe to.  I follow a channel called Geek and Sundry Vlogs.  I primarily followed it because I follow their main channel and the main channel said to check it out.  I did and ended up finding a couple of vlogs on their I liked.  
Especially a guy by the name of Paul Mason.  He's known as the DIY guy.  He makes nerdy stuff that you could make at home with a little effort and shows you how to do it.  Thursday he posted this little gem.


If you didn't watch the video (Which I highly recommend you do.) he makes Legend of Zelda fairy bottles.  If you're not familiar in the game you (as Link) can catch fairies, put them in bottles, and use them later to fill your health.
Paul makes it look super simple.
After talking with Brooke and showing the girls, I decided I was going to take a stab at it.  Yesterday we went to Porters.  We were able to find most of what we needed.  The only problem is I didn't want to pay $3 on modeling clay that I was only going to use a small corner.  The brilliant idea hit me that beads would work just as well and I wouldn't have to try and get them round.  Also we couldn't find plastic.  You'd think that would've been easy in a crafts store, but i couldn't find any that was sturdy, yet flexible.  The thought then occurred to me that I may have something at home that might worked.
Being the nerd I am I also collect cards.  They're the comic book related cards. (bet you didn't see that one coming)  For the foil ones I had a lot of individual card sleeves that would be about right for the plastic I was looking for.  Turns out it was.
About an hour later I had these little gems.
Leslie wanted pink

Kylie wanted blue

I think they turned out great!  I made each of the girls a different color.  That way they didn't mix them up and fight over whose is whose.
I'm pretty pleased with myself.  Like I said I don't consider myself too crafty.  I like working with my hands though, it gives me a huge sense of accomplishment.  The girls are in love with them.  Kylie says she wants to wear hers to school so kids will ask about it.  I'm so pleased with them that I want to make one for a friend's daughter whose birthday is coming up.  Sam wants one as well.

Comments

  1. Someone discovered a new talent...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's so cool that you and your kids can bond by doing stuff like this together. I smiled and smiled when you said that Kylie is so excited to wear her fairy potion at school. And I also smiled when I saw you three working out together. You guys are such a cool family. They should use you in those "Family, it' about time" commercials they used to do for the LDS church. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment