Pick of the Month

So I've thought recently that I need to blog more.  I just never think that I have anything worth while to talk about.  I've decided I'm going to try a few things.  My first thought came from a weekly blog my friend Clifton, http://nova-corps.blogspot.com/, does called NB of the Week.  He picks a few comics each week that he thinks are worth reading.  I like that idea, and even though I don't collect as many as he does, I figure I read enough to make give it a shot.

First up?  Indestructible Hulk #1.  Marvel has taken a bunch of their longest running titles (Iron man, Spider-man, Hulk, etc) and relaunched them with a twist.  Indestructible Hulk is no exception.

It starts in a small town diner.  Maria Hill, current director of S.H.I.E.L.D. is trying to find the Hulk, but it seems that she's in this small town for another reason.  All of a sudden the man she's looking for shows up in the form of Bruce Banner.  Banner explains that the reason he's been difficult to locate is he's been off thinking and has come to a realization.  The Hulk is an incurable disease.  Banner explains to her that he's one of the most brilliant minds in the world, but will only be known for his destructive rampages as the Hulk. The reason he's come to Hill is that he wants to make a difference during his time as Banner all he needs is their resources.  S.H.I.E.L.D. can then take advantage of his time as the Hulk.  Hulk is not a bomb, but a cannon that can be aimed.  Banner has arrived for an audition of sorts for S.H.I.E.L.D.'s latest assignment.

The reason I liked this issue is, as much as Hulk is known for the Jekyll and Hyde aspect of the comic, it's nice to see a new perspective.  I like the idea of Banner thinking of Hulk as an incurable disease that he'll have to live with one day at a time, but making the most of it.  I've always like the Hulk stories that show Banner at his smartest in other aspects than trying to rid himself of the Hulk.  Mark Waid, the writer, seems to be taking the comic in a new direction while keeping the destructive aspect of the Hulk that we all love.

This comic is already on the second issue that I enjoyed as much as the first.  Banner seems to be dealing with issues that he's kept fighting for Hulk's entire history which is refreshing.  If you're a fan of the Hulk I recommend giving this title a shot.

Comments

  1. I was surprised by this issue. Hulk has gone downhill for me over the years (Red Hulk is still a horrible idea) and I wasn't too hopeful for this one. I liked it for the same reasons. A new perspective from Banner on the Hulk feels like it changes everything, Very simple but very bit change. Couldn't agree more with ya on this (though I should point out that Greg Pak isn't the writer, it's Mark Waid. Sorry...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, right. Don't know how I missed that when I was proof reading. I think I was going to write something about getting into Hulk when Pak was writing and skipped over it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment