Pick of the Month: Amazing Spider-man #700

Alright, I know.  I've already done a Pick of the Month, but I've been wanting to write about ASM #700 since I read it and well it's my blog so deal.

This will have spoilers so be warned.

Amazing is then end of a story that's been going on for a while now.  Doc Ock is dying and because of stuff that's happened during the Ends of the Earth (At least I hope it was that story line  I haven't read it.) Doc Ock was able to trade bodies with Peter Parker.  Now Peter is dying in Doc Ock's body and Ock is living healthy in Peter's body.

With time running out Peter breaks out of Prison with the help of some of his rouges gallery.  They break into the police station where the octobot that Peter had to access with his mind to stop Ock, and caused this mess, is being held.  Ock finds out and the two meet for the final confrontation.  They battle in Avengers tower, leading to a lethal fall and Peter, still in Ock's body, taking the brunt.  With his final moments of life Peter uses the link through the octobot to push his memories and values into his old body, imbuing them in Octavius.  Peter dies in Ock's decrepit form but Octavius vows to carry on as Spidey.  With his advanced intellect he will be a better Spider-man than Peter ever was, a Superior Spider-man. (Like the plug they used for the new title? Yeah, me neither.)

I'm kinda torn on my feelings for this book.  It was well written and a pretty good read, lots of action. I like the roll reversal of the two characters.  Peter having to do bad to get his body back.  Ock having to put up the front of Spider-man to end his old foe.  Reminded me of Face-Off.

The implications are what get me.  Like with any change to an iconic character there is some trepidation.  I mean look at what's happened before.  When Azrael became Batman it ended in a nightmare with Bruce coming back for the mantel.  With Superman four pretenders showed up and chaos ensued.  Eventually Clark returned and became Superman again.  Bucky took over as Captain America after Steve Rogers was killed.  Steve came back from the dead and became Cap again.  There's a laundry list of these scenarios.  My point is it's a big change to a pretty well known character.  Spider-man will always be associated with Peter Parker.  And although it is Peter's body, it's Doctor Octopus in there, so things will change.  Give it time though.  I don't see this lasting.  Like with the examples I gave before, they all ended with the original returning and all was right with the world.  I take solace in the fact that things change in comics, but everything comes full circle.  All those we thought dead eventually returned in some capacity, it's all to sell books.  Dan Slott has been writing Spidey for a while now, and from what I've read knows what he's doing.  I have faith that he'll do the character justice.  Eventually it'll all turn out.  It always does.  So stop sending him death threats.

Comments

  1. I'd read the crap outta a book where Felicia Hardy became Spider-person...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment