The Great Soda Decline

Exactly a week ago today Brooke and I were driving to the gas station to get our daily (sometimes bi-daily) 52 oz. soda.  In an unheard of event, Brooke looks at me and says the unthinkable..

I'm thinking of drinking less soda.

Now if you know us we are sodaholics.  Like I said 52 ounce-rs a day, sometimes twice a day.  I was a little shocked, but after thinking about it, it kinda made sense.

If you've been reading this blog (and if you haven't shame on you!) you know that Brooke and I have resigned to get healthier.  I've been overweight for most of my life, so the change has been good.  I've enjoyed it, but I'm still dead set to get my soda everyday.  It's something I can't live without.  Or at least I thought I couldn't.

Yesterday was the first day I had a soda since the big change.  I thought "What a treat!  I've been so good, and once a week couldn't hurt."

The only problem was it wasn't everything I imagined it would be.

I had one.  Yeah, it was good, but I didn't miss it as much as I thought I would.  I've been drinking diet for quite some time, which cuts down on the sweetness (I think) and it was hard to stomach how sweet it was.  Needless to say I was even more shocked than the aforementioned proposal of going without.

I've been complaining the last week that I was sick and tired of water.  I didn't think I could take it anymore. A soda seemed like a gift from heaven.  It was hard to believe that once I had it I wished it was water (or Crystal Light, which we've been using.)

I know that this whole getting exercising thing and eating better was a big change, but I didn't think it was something I'd get used to or even want.  I guess there's no going back at this point.  I've changed, and as begrudging as I am to say it, for the better.

Comments

Post a Comment