Battle of the Bulge

I've always been a big guy.  Any one that's ever met me can't deny that.  But it's more than my 6'3" stature.  I've always been big around the midsection.  I never really worried about what foods I put in my mouth.  I never really cared about that little thing called exercise.  It was never really in my vocabulary.

So about three weeks I did something I haven't done in a long time.  I stepped on the scales and actually paid attention to what it said.  I didn't like what stared back at me.

Now I've become one of those guys.

I order salads at restaurants.  If I eat out I go to Subway because it's the healthy alternative.  I feel weird when I don't work out.  I've even invested in a $90 heart rate monitor so I can monitor my calories burned when doing so.  I keep track of everything that goes into my mouth and their calories on a calorie counting website. (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ for those keeping track.)

How did this happen?

Well for that I give credit (or blame) to my beautiful wife.  A while back Brooke came to the same realization.  She didn't like what she saw in the mirror and started to work out and saw results.

It's inspiring.

To watch her be so dedicated to feeling better and being healthy, not to mention getting hotter (if that's possible), for me and the kids (She says. I think it's for herself as well) strikes something deep inside.

I guess when I finally stepped on the scales a combination of her example, the way I felt, and the way I looked triggered that synapse in my brain and turned on my athletic side.  And you know what I'm glad it did.

Since that time 3 weeks ago I've lost 7 pounds.  It doesn't sound like a lot, but I've already gained so much in it's place.

I'm no longer winded by simple things like running up the stairs or chasing after the kids.  I have more energy during the day and sleep better at night. Still not sure how that works, but I'm not going to question it.  Sleeping better is probably one of the best benefits.  I suffer from anxiety attacks that happen most frequently at nights.  I would have to take melatonin so I could sleep enough to go to work.  Now that I work out I'm able to sleep at night without it.  Even better than that I've noticed it's a deeper more refreshing sleep.

Another benefit is my clothes are fitting better as well.  I've been able to wear shirts that were so tight fitting, because of my gut, that I couldn't stand them or they way I looked in them.

It's strange to have changed my lifestyle in this way.  I used not be able to imagine my life without the fast food burgers and candy bars.  Now I'm lucky if I have a piece of candy a week. What's worse is I look at the nutrition facts before buying it.  I haven't even raided the kids Halloween candy this year.

When did I become that guy?

Comments

  1. And your welcome!! I'm doing it all for you, I want people to say "dude, you have a hot wife!" I'm just glad that you are feeling better about yourself. I am so proud of you and I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for both of you. I should get my gut on a treadmill at some point too. But as long as you two are happy, I'm happy for ya. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment