Wrestler Retrospect: Chris Jericho


That's right folks!  Wrestler Retrospect is back, baby!

So not too long ago a familiar face returned to the WWE in the form of Chris Jericho.

Since then I've immersed myself in Y2J.  I started by picking up his first autobiography: A Lionstale: Around the World in Spandex.  (Sold at bookstores everywhere.)  Now I've never been one for autobiographies.  I  think the last one I read, and really enjoyed, was Have a Nice Day by Mick Foley. (Who incidentally has never beaten Chris Jericho in a match.)  It took some time to finally work up the gumption to pick it up.

I was not disappointed by any stretch of the imagination.

For someone who doesn't like autobiographies I had the sucker read in a week and within days bought his follow up, Undisputed: How to Become the World Champion in 1,372 Easy Steps.  I'm halfway through it and it's as good as the first.

Finally today I found All That Remains Reloaded by Fozzy used for less than ten bucks!  What a find!  I mean who was dumb enough to get rid of that?  The man's musical chops were evident from the get go.  Even though Fozzy's first two albums were full of covers it is this album that rises to the top of my favorite Fozzy albums.  It was their first that was full of all original material and proved that Fozzy is a great band and not just a great cover band.

I'm starting to believe that the man is truly The Best in the World at What He Does!

But you didn't come here to hear about his accomplishments outside the ring.  This is WRESTLER Retrospect after all.

The man is brilliant in the ring.  Even though his books would dispute this fact, I don't think I've ever seen a bad Chris Jericho match.  The man was the first Undisputed Champion for goodness sake.  He has a great mix of high flying and ground skills that make him well rounded as a wrestler.  One minute he'll by flying through the air with his Lionsault and the next have his opponent screaming in pain (Yelling at the ref to "Ask him!" if he wants to submit.) with the Walls of Jericho.

Not to mention the man is amazing on the mic.  If your a wrestling fan I'm sure you can think of more than one memorable Jericho promo.  Whether a face or a heel Jericho knows how to have you hang on his every word and either love or hate him by the end of it.  Seriously who didn't chant along with "You're nothing more than a filthy, dirty, disgusting, brutal, skanky, bottom-feeding, trash-bag ho!"

Jericho's recent return finally paid off when he turned heel and called out the man everyone wanted him to feud with, CM Punk.  Jericho again had us waiting with baited breath to find out who was the Best in the World at Wrestlemania.  Even though Jericho came out of it with no belt and a loss on the scoreboard he proved once again that he can not have a bad match.  It was by far a show stealer and my favorite match of the night.

I know with his obligations to Fozzy that Jericho may not be around too much.  I've even heard whispers of another hiatus.  I only hope that it won't be for as long as the last couple times because every time he returns reminds me of why he's at the top of my list of favorite wrestlers.

Comments