Wrestler Retrospect: Edge

I had planned to do a TNA wrestler for my next Retrospect, but due to last night's announcement of his retirement I thought it only appropriate.


Edge


Stats



Height: 6'5"


Weight: 241 lbs


Hometown: Orangeville, Ontario, Canada


Finisher: Spear


History: What do I recap from a man that's won a total of 31 championships. Edge has a storied history that would take all night to write. Then I'd have to get up and finish it.


Edge is a 12 time World Tag Team Champion. Most notably is his 7 time run with partner (and best friend for more than 20 years) Christian. He's also held the Intercontinental Championship, United States Championship, and a 2 time WWE Tag Team Champion. The most impressive is being an 11 time World Champion. The WWE Championship 4 times and the World Heavyweight Championship 7 times. Edge has also been King of the Ring, won the Royal Rumble, and been Mr. Money in the Bank twice. He was the first ever. I mean this man has done it all in the WWE and more. There's not many superstars with half the accolades as Edge has.


Why I Like Him: I can't think of a match from Edge that's ever disappointed me. He's synonymous with the Ladder match. I remember watching his historic ladder match against the Hardy's and being blown away. I remember seeing him in the first ever TLC match and feeling the same way. Whether being heel or not, I've enjoyed watching his matches. He always delivered. Outside of the ring he was just as innovative. Whether he was with Christian making me laugh so hard I couldn't breathe or making me want to despise him as the Rated R Superstar his promos and backstage antics stirred me just as much as his exploits in the ring.


Final Thoughts: I'm saddened. Ever since I heard the new this morning I've been bummed. Love him or hate him you can't dispute the fact that Edge was one of the best. You could tell by every performance in and out of the ring that he gave his all. When he won the title for the first time all I could think to myself was: FINALLY! He's deserved it for a long time. I felt he had so much more to give, but I can't dispute his choice to leave before he was in a wheel chair. I don't remember feeling this much of a loss with any other of my favorite wrestlers. Maybe because, like his spear, I didn't see it coming.



Comments