You knew it was comin'


So you knew it was coming. I feel it's time to weigh in the trailer for the film about my all time favorite comic book character. Green Lantern.



Here's the trailer for those who may not have seen it yet.



All in all I'm pretty happy with it. I had my trepidations with Ryan Reynolds when I first heard about his casting as Hal Jordan. He'd always been good in what I've seen, but he'd always been type cast as "never all that serious". Yes, I know what you're saying "Hal isn't all that serious. He's the rebel against authority and all that." Yes, that's true, but it seems to me Hal has always been a little bit more serious than Reynolds portrays. Where am I going with this? It's this: Reynolds is growing on me. Ever since seeing the footage from his Comic Con panel I've been taking him seriously as Hal. Anyone who's willing to answer a question about how it felt saying the oath by actually saying it has to be attached to the character. Now he does seem goofy at times in the trailer, I'm okay with it. I think anyone who has been given a power like that would.

The other thing that I can only describe as "off" if the suit. It looks a bit off, but then I think that anything done completely in CG looks "off". I can see the benefits of doing it that way too. How else would you be able to show the ring create the suit other than CG. Keeping that way after he puts the suit on may be a different story, but I'll reserve that until I see the film.

Finally my only real issue with the the movie is the real villain. Hammond is the face, but from everything we've heard is that Parallax is the true villain. Although I like Parallax as a villain, and my even enjoy seeing him in a GL film, I think it may be too early. I know that from all we've heard GL may be a trilogy, but I would expect Parallax to show up in at least the second film. Why? Well they're introducing Sinestro in the first film, so we can probably expect him to be the villain in the second film. Now wouldn't it make sense for him to find Parallax in the second film to give him the power to fight GL. I figured he would find Parallax and he would give Sinestro the ability to harness fear in a power ring. Once again I guess I'm going to have to reserve judgment until I see the film.

Like I said, all-in-all, I'm happy with what I've seen in the trailer. I'm finally really excited for the film. I've always been somewhat antsy to see or hear something to get me excited and this trailer delivered. I just hope the film will fill the expectations left by the trailer. If not I guess I always have First Flight.

Comments

  1. My guess is that Parallax "joins" Hammond and by the end, when all that goes awry, Parallax will "join" Sinestro, which will set up the second movie. But to top that, the third one would have to be one of the wars and involve more Lanterns on whichever sides are involved.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment