Superman/Batman: Apocalypse

Superman/Batman: Apocalypse is DC's recent animated feature film. Based on the storyline from the comics The Supergirl from Krypton, this movie is very true to that original story. In my opinion DC has hit it out of the park again.

The goods: As I said before the storyline for Superman/Batman: Apocalypse is very true to the original story. I think with a few (and I'm only talking about two) exceptions it followed the original exactly. If you think the fight scenes on the comic panels is good, it's very awesome translated to animated scenes. The fight between Darkseid, Superman, and Supergirl at the end was awesome. Makes me wish they could have had a fight scene like that in Superman Returns. Also the all star cast of voices, such as Tim Daly and Kevin Conroy, returned, giving that nostalgic feeling from the DCAU. With the addition of Summer Glau as Supergirl made it great. She played Supergirl to perfection in my opinion. Lastly the plot was a little easier to understand than the comic. Well, not the whole plot, just the part where Supergirl goes to Apocalypse. Without ruining too much Supergirl is abducted by Darkseid and the other heroes go to save her. A plot twist happens while they're there that was always confusing to me. The animated movie explains why, that was never explained too well in the comic. I don't know, it may have been, but I missed it.

The bads: Not much. The only think that bothered me was the adaptation of the great Michael Turner's art, the artist that drew the original story. (Will miss you Michael, God bless you!) It looked like all the guys were wearing thick eyeliner. Yeah, that's it! The only gripe I have. I guess I could go into the fate of Darkseid at the end. (Oh, come on! You really didn't expect him to win did you?) It was different from the comics, but really it didn't bother me. It had the same outcome and did it without having to explain some comic related stuff.

All in all, like I said, DC has another great animated movie. It makes me wish that they could put Bruce Timm in charge of their live action movies, so we could actually have a few more than the ones we have, and they could be good. Out of the new movies, the Batman films have been the only ones to be good. Back on course if you've liked any of DC's other animated films, this one will be right up your ally.

DC Showcase: Green Arrow

On a side note, as with most of the newer animated features they've been releasing on the special addition short animated films showcasing (No pun intended) other DC heroes. In the case of Superman/Batman: Apocalypse it's Green Arrow.

This film is pretty good for what it is. DC has a way of adding a pretty good plot, a lot of action, and good character development in the short time they have. I think out of all of them this one may be my favorite. Mostly cause it's one I could watch in front of the kids. The previous two, The Spectre and Jonah Hex, were a little more adult than this one. I don't mean to make that sound like there was tons of sex and violence in them, just a little too intense and a bit more bloodly than Green Arrow. It also had the addition of another known DC heroine in it, and if you know Green Arrow you'll know who I'm talking about.

Comments