Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole

I finally decided I wanted to use the free movie tickets that work sent me for my birthday. I had the great idea to take my girls to see a movie that we could all enjoy. My first thought was Legend of the Guardians! One, because it looked very cool and two, because it looked like a movie the family could enjoy. Leslie and I jumped in the car (I would have taken Kylie, but she got herself in trouble.) and headed to the movies. Leslie and I were both excited. I'm sure I was feeding off her excitement quite a bit. The movie started and from start to finish we were captured. Leslie, known to be quite the chatterbox, was silent through the whole thing. Her eyes fixed on the screen.

Legend of the Guardians is about an owl named Soren. He's still young, so young he can't fully fly yet. He's mesmerized with tales of the Guardians of Ga'Hoole. A group of warrior owls who are sworn to protect the owl kingdom. While he and his brother Kludd are practicing gliding from branch to branch they fall out of the tree and are attacked. They are saved by two other owls, who come to find out, are even a greater danger than the Tasmanian devil that these owls helped them escape. The brothers are taken to be slaves to the evil Metalbeak, the owl that is the villain of the Guardian tales Soren so loves. An old owl working for the villains sees something in Soren and teaches him and another owl, Gylfie, to fly. Escaping, the two go in search for the legendary owls of Ga'Hoole.

The Goods: First off, this movie is breathtaking. It's visually stunning to look at. It probably helps that flying birds are beautiful to watch. The imagery doesn't take away from a wonderful story. Yes, it's filled with standard fantasy cliches but I enjoy fantasy, so I didn't mind. The movie keeps a good pace, not getting bogged down with slow moments too much. From start to finish it keeps a good pace, while not being "fast paced". It's theme of following and believing in your dreams versus falling into the lot you're given doesn't overpower the film by pushing it in your face.

The Bads: Like I said before it has a lot of the fantasy cliches of a rag tag group of adventurers finding a legend to save themselves from an evil. I didn't mind it, but I'm sure there are a lot of people that would consider that mediocre at best. Also Metalbeak's plot to overthrow the guardians and become the king of the owls is kinda confusing. I'm really unsure what exactly they were doing or what exactly this super weapon they were creating was.

All in all it was an entertaining movie that was beautiful to watch. It did have some intense moments, but was still kid appropriate. I've very rarely seen Leslie sit mesmerized by a movie for as long as she was. My recommendation is to see it. It was a rather entertaining film, nothing that will "change the way we view cinema" I'm sure, but entertaining none the less. And isn't that what movies are for?

Comments

  1. I loved that the bad owls were really just a substitute for the Nazis. Think about it: rule all "races", looking for only the "pure bloods". Its hidden pretty well.
    But I really enjoyed this movie. Agree on every part with ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought of that, but I think you're right. It did have a little bit of Nazi undertones. Good call.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment