Clash of the Titans Review


So for weeks now I've been excited. I am such of a fan of the original that I couldn't wait to see an updated version with, from what I've seen from the previews, some great effects. Sadly that was all it had going for it.

I wanted to see this since I saw previews. I wanted to see it during opening weekend, but due to funding, I wasn't. A guy at work did though, and he came back with less than favorable reviews. While listening to what he had to say I though to myself that it couldn't be as bad as he says. After all if it had similarities to the original it must be good. Still it persuaded me to at least wait till it was out on video. Boy was I glad I did.

First off, about the only things it had in common with the original was the names of the characters and the monsters they fight. The movie seemed to be a tirade against any type of higher power. Perseus seems to not want to have anything to do with the fact that he was a demigod or his father was Zeus. Even though that was the reason he could do the heroic things he could. It seemed to be the writer's outlet for his atheistic views. Another problem I had was that Perseus wasn't all that heroic till the end. There was about a five minute span of action where the group is fighting a giant scorpion. After said five minute span it cuts to Perseus standing there walking, then deciding to get involved. There was no explanation for it. At least in most movies there's a character development plot reasoning why he doesn't get involved. It was just kind of a let down.

Now I can't say there wasn't good points to the film. there was great cgi in the film. The battle with Medusa was one of these particular highlights. I'm not sure how they could make me think this snake haired monster has a really pretty face. I also liked the look of the Djinn creatures they came across. It left me wishing that the one that went along in their group had a larger role than he did.

When all was said and done, I had a hard time watching the second half. I ended up stopping mid way because I was tired. It took a lot the next day for me to say "I'm going to finish this move." Heck, Brooke didn't even get there. The only part she ended up watch was the aforementioned Medusa scene. That was only because Kylie and I talked about how cool it was. I really wanted to watch the classic Clash of the Titans to raise me up from this let down. At least in that Perseus took action and was an active hero. Plus, lets face it, Harryhausen is freakin' awesome!

Comments

  1. Sorry to hear it wasn't good. Maybe instead of spending a buck to see it, I'll spend 7 and pick up the original at Wal*Mart.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment